Monday, July 7, 2014

Goodnight June

by Sarah Jio


Synopsis:


June Andersen is professionally successful, but her personal life is marred by unhappiness. Unexpectedly, she is called to settle her great-aunt Ruby’s estate and determine the fate of Bluebird Books, the children’s bookstore Ruby founded in the 1940s. Amidst the store’s papers, June stumbles upon letters between her great-aunt and the late Margaret Wise Brown—and steps into the pages of American literature.

My Review:


I loved this book. A beautiful story about saving the magic of bookstores (and I don't mean the Barnes and Noble of the world). You can tell that this book was written from a very personal place for Ms. Jio. The book did not follow the usual plot pattern of Jio's books and that was a pleasant surprise. I love Jio's stories but was looking forward to her expanding her writing to stories that develop differently. From the moment I picked up this book I couldn't put it down. It is a story that will appeal to those who love books and like me who admire the craft of writing stories and the crafters, even those who dedicate their life and talents to the simple children's stories that shape our love of books from the time we are little. This was a feel-good story that I will treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment