Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Pecan Man

by



Cassie Dandridge Selleck
























The Pecan Man is a work of Southern fiction whose first chapter was the First Place winner of the 2006 CNW/FFWA Florida State Writing Competition in the Unpublished Novel category. In the summer of 1976, recently widowed and childless, Ora Lee Beckworth hires a homeless old black man to mow her lawn. The neighborhood children call him the Pee-can Man; their mothers call them inside whenever he appears. When the police chief's son is found stabbed to death near his camp, the man Ora knows as Eddie is arrested and charged with murder. 

Twenty-five years later, Ora sets out to tell the truth about the Pecan Man. In narrating her story, Ora discovers more truth about herself than she could ever have imagined.

2 comments:

  1. I have been finishing up a BFA in Creative Writing, which included completing a new novel, so I have been woefully absent from social media. I have to say, Laura, this review brought me to tears. So thoughtfully written that I just want to shout to the rooftops "She gets me!" :-) You nailed the theme and the questions of this, my first novel, as if you had been in my head when I wrote it. The voice of Ora Lee was inspired by my beautiful mother, who taught me to love unconditionally. I lost her in February of this year, and I am still reeling emotionally. She would have loved to read this review. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie, first of all my sincere condolences on your mom's passing. I was right there in Feb of 2014 when I lost my mom who I admired and from whom I too learned the value of unconditional love. I still find myself with the need to show her things and share with her the things that bring me joy and the things that frustrate me too. I have to believe that she does see it all and is guiding me along the way. Your book is brilliant and I'm certain she knew that. Ora Lee's character being inspired by your mother speaks volumes about her character and in turn your own. I found her to be so real and so relatable. My husband (who also grew up in the South - Florida to be exact) read the book before I did and then he urged me to read it. I will have my children read it too (2 of them are still too young) when they are ready. Please keep me posted on your next books. I look forward to reading it. Here on my little blog which I started simply because of my fascination with what I get out of the books I read. I learn so much and I feel that if I can't be the writer of such great books as unfortunately I was not born with the talent and skills to do so, I can at least tell those who will listen how much they mean to me. My heroes are people like you who have the humility and sensitivity of heart and mind to tell the stories. I thank you for that. There is that common thread that connects people like you and I and brings what is good in the world. And what a challenging world it is, wouldn't you say? Much luck to you in your career and just continue writing from your heart as it shows that you do. :-)

      Delete